How can I hydrate my hair to make it look less brittle? Is there a product that can repair the damage from the dye? How does her hair look so nice? These and probably several similar questions come to your mind whenever you’re looking at your dry and damaged hair.
Hair damages are inevitable. Exposed to sun, bleaching and dyeing together with harsh chemicals in artificial hair care products leave the hair dry and brittle making for not-so-awesome appearance. On the other hand, some people have naturally dry hair and are dealing with the ongoing problem despite the treatments and exposure. So, how does one deal with the problem efficiently? The answer is in natural products used as hair care treatment.
While many of the artificial products give instant improvement, they do not affect the health and damage repair in the long term. Opposite to that, completely natural treatments do not always give instant effects but have the ability to deeply penetrate and repair the hair, enhancing the health and appearance altogether.
From homemade masks to natural substitutes for hair care products, here are several effective homemade remedies and treatments that will repair your damaged and brittle hair.
Coconut Oil and Egg Yolk as Hair Mask
If your hair is dry and frizzy you should start with deep moisturization affecting the hair shafts. Once you deliver the needed moisture to the dehydrated hair it will start repairing and the appearance will also improve.
Thanks to its tiny molecular structure, coconut oil penetrates deep within the hair cells. It delivers the needed moisture and beneficial nutrients. Moreover, the ability to penetrate deep in the scalp cells helps the elimination of build-up sebum which results in faster-growing hair. As the hair grows faster it will eventually replace the highly damaged parts, while growing healthier and shiny. Once the problem is solved from the hair’s root, it becomes easier to deal with the damaged parts.
Like coconut oil, egg yolk is also beneficial for deep moisturization and hydration. Moreover, egg yolk is combined with coconut oil to enhance the effects and to make the hair more resistant to damages further on. Combined together these 2 ingredients will repair damaged hair, deeply revitalizing it and making it appear silky smooth after several applications.
- 2 tablespoons organic, unrefined coconut oil (melted)
- 1 egg (whisked)
- Hair dye brush
- Shower cap
- If the coconut oil is in solid form, melt it to make it easier to combine.
- Once melted add the egg in and steer until you get an even mixture.
- With a hair dye brush take a small amount of the maks and start applying from the midsection of the scalp to the ends of your hair
- Make sure to spread it evenly all over the surface of the hair and scalp
- Use a shower cap to make sure the mask is fixated on the hair and does not spill down to your face and neck.
- Leave the mask on for an hour or two
- Rinse several times
- Apply 2 times a week
* Tip: If you are dealing with extremely damaged and dry hair you can choose to apply coconut oil alone and let it sit overnight. This will make for a more effective treatment that will improve the hair appearance after one night.
Rinse-off Hair Conditioner
Another very beneficial ingredient for your hair that you probably already have in your kitchen is gelatine. Yes, that’s right! Gelatine is a great source of protein that moisturizes the hair making it appear shiny and smooth.
- 1 tablespoon gelatine
- 1 cup of warm water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Preferred essential oil
- Mix the gelatin with the water and set it aside for 5 minutes
- Add the vinegar and 6 drops of essential oil to the gelatine and stir well to combine all ingredients together
- With your hands take small amounts of the mixture and add on hair
- Start at the midsection to the ends of the hair
- Avoid adding on the scalp as the conditioner is effective for the brittle and frizzy parts of the hair
- Once applied on the whole surface leave it for 10 minutes
- Rinse with warm water
Leave-in Hair Conditioner
Many girls that are in search of the perfect hair care product have eventually heard of the beer hack. Although you wouldn’t put a lot of thought into it and skip the chance to add smelly beer to your hair, we suggest you reconsider.
The malt and hops that beer is made from are loaded with beneficial protein that is effective in repairing hair cuticles. Moreover, damaged hair that is dry and impossible to style due to the dehydration can greatly benefit from your favorite beer.
In order for your hair to enjoy the benefits of the beer and for you to finally style your hair the favorite way, put beer in a spraying bottle. Apply on clean and wet hair, spraying evenly over the whole hair length. Once your hair dries out you won’t be able to smell the beer, however, you will be able to see the difference.
*Tip: If you don’t really like the idea of having a beer over your hair, spray it, wrap your hair in a towel and let the hair soak the proteins for 15 minutes. Rinse with warm water. You might not enjoy 100% of the beer effects but you will certainly see improvement.
Natural Oils as Hair Oil
Once you’ve rinsed the homemade mask, shampooed your hair, rinsed the leave-in conditioner and blow-dried your hair, it’s finally time to add the finishing touch. If you are dealing with dry hair and split ends, you are probably already using oils to tame frizziness and camouflage the damages.
There are several natural oils you can choose from that will help repair and prevent further occurrence of split ends and make your hair beautiful and easier to style.
Beneficial oils to choose from:
- Olive oil
- Coconut oil
- Castor oil
- Jojoba oil
- Argan oil
- Almond oil
- Lavender oil
- Drop several drops of the preferred oil on your fingers. Add it on the very ends of the hair.
- Make sure to not apply oil on the higher parts as the oil may make your hair greasy
- With several drops in hands style your hair as preferred minding not to apply too much
People with curly hair can benefit from oil application on the whole hair surface, from scalp to ends. The oil will help form beautiful and bouncy curls while camouflaging and repairing the damaged hair parts.
By combining the homemade mask, rinse-off, and leave-in conditioner and natural oils to create a complete and all-natural hair care routine, you will enjoy deeply restored and repaired hair. Moreover, your hair will start to grow healthier and stronger while being completely revitalized, healed, silky smooth, and shiny.