If you are a woman with long hair, getting them in shape and retaining it has to be your biggest concerned. No matter how much you try, you remain clueless about what to do with your haphazard locks. The latest hair trends have been all about adding bounce, volume, texture, and definition and without the assistance of a hairstylist or a professional blow-dry, hair styling seems like a daunting task.
The longer the hair is, the more difficult it is to manage them. Many women also dread shampooing because of the risk of being left with frizzy hair. If you do not want to make a trip to your hairstylist every time you want to add volume and texture to your hair, scrunching is a great alternative that can help you.
Scrunching is a technique that requires you to take your hair in your hand and crumple it in between your palms to give them a naturally curly texture. Ever since this technique has been discovered, people have tried different ways to scrunch their hair but the results often came out as unsatisfactory. Here are some tips that will help you scrunch and style your hair perfectly using a basic cotton flour sack towel which you can buy from here.
Why Use A Flour Sack Towel?
There is no hard and fast rule to use a certain kind of towel for scrunching your hair. People have also been known to use only their palms to get the job done. However, if you want a perfect result that will last longer, you have got to use the right tools. There are two main reasons why Flour Sack towels are technically the best choice for the job.
Firstly, the process requires you to drain off any excess water and unlike other kinds of towels, flour sack towel has exceptionally good absorbency level. Do not use a blow dry in this process because your hair needs to be air dried. Secondly, the design of flour sack towel helps to prevent the frizz while you towel dries your hair.
Many people advocate using cotton t-shirts and microfiber towels, however, while they work on some hair types, in most cases, they miserably fail at soaking off the excess water from the hair and leave them frizzy and difficult to handle. Although there are certainly high-end towels available on the market they are specifically designed for hair but they can be very expensive. The best thing about flour sack towels is that they are extremely easy on the pocket.
How to Scrunch and Style Your Hair Using Flour Sack Towels
You can scrunch and style your hair and get perfect natural looking curly locks by following these few simple steps.
- Step 1: Prepare your hair for styling by shampooing and conditioning your hair first. It is recommended that you use a good anti-frizz volumizing shampoo and conditioner for best results. A good shampoo and conditioning ritual leaves your hair clean, soft and shiny and enhances your hairstyle.
- Step 2: Use your fingers or a fine bristle comb to part your hair the way you want. It is better to stick to using fingers since scrunched hair are meant to look natural and messy.
- Step 3: Take a flour sack towel and use it to dry and scrunch sections of your hair without rubbing the towel against your hair. Make sure you do not rub your hair vigorously or blow dry your hair. Manual scrunching will help you retain natural curls.
- Step 4: Once you have dried your hair use a curl enhancing styling spray, serum or mousse and scrunch hair with it. This will add more texture to your hair and will hold your curls for a longer time. Generally, mousse works best with scrunching. Be careful while applying mousse and make sure you don’t apply it to your roots or else your hair will end up looking flat and greasy. Start your application from mid-lengths and take it down to ends. Tilt your head down and let your hair fall down your face while you apply mousse,
- Step 5: Now take small sections of your hair in your palms and close your fists to crunch your hair moving the direction of your scalp. Do it just the way crumble a torn sheet of paper.
- Step 6: Leave your hair as it is now and let it dry naturally. Avoid using comb or brush over your hair or else it will open the curls and will make the hair frizzy. For best results keep scrunching your hair every few minutes at regular intervals in the same manner.
- Step 7: Once your hair is completely air dried, use a good spray or serum to add shine to your hair and make it last longer.