UPDATE: This post is constantly being updated, SO IT’S VERY LONG. Scroll down for the latest, but if you’re too lazy to read, WATCH THE VLOG at the bottom. Go here for the list of fake Kylie products, and go here to read how to spot fake Kylie Website.
Kylie Jenner Lip Kits are so popular, it literally breaks the internet every time they restock. Seriously, they once broke Google. And apparently, they broke at least one post office as well. It’s madness, but I assure you the hype is not that overrated because the formula is really great. You can read my Lip Kit by Kylie review.
But Kylie Cosmetics is facing another problem: Fake Kylie Lip Kits are now circulating in some online markets and stores around Asia. Honestly, I already knew this will happen. As someone who lives in Asia, fake products are really common especially when a particular item is massively popular.
It is unfortunate that some people do this, and the worst part, there are online sellers who are claiming that their fake Kylie Lip Kits are real and sell it for the original price or more. Some even show in their eBay pages real Kylie Lip Kits, but when they send it to you, you’ll get the fake lip kit. So it’s time to be safe now and know how to spot a fake Kylie Jenner Lip Kit.
How to Spot A Fake Kylie Jenner Lip Kit?
1. A fake Kylie Jenner Lip Kit cost only around $1- $4, but the price of the original Lip Kit cost $29, unless if you buy it from Lip Kit re-sellers then it will cost a little bit more.
2. The box of a real Kylie Jenner Lip Kit has its item’s shade shown on the top and sides of the box, while the name of the shade is written on the top. The lip photo is a bit higher and the fonts are bolder.
The photos above are the real Lip Kit by Kylie
The photos above are the fake Kylie Lip Kits
While some boxes are really trying to copy the original boxes, some fake Kylie Jenner Lip Kits are packaged in slim boxes.
The photos above are fake Lip Kits as well
Take note that all original matte Kylie lip kits are packaged in a rectangular box and comes with a lip liner. Only the metallic mattes and glosses are packaged in slim boxes and does not sold with a lip liner. Some fakes are also called “Kylie Lip Cream” instead of Kylie Lip Kit.
3. The box where the lip kits are packaged when the company send it to you are square. Not rectangular like those show in the top-left photo. Although the company recently changed the box design (and I’m sure they will change it again in the future) because some are getting stolen, presumably by the couriers, but they are always square like this, so far.
4. The Kylie Lip Kit’s bottle has a clear white cap (stopper) on the opening, not a pure white unlike on the photo above. The real Lip Kit’s opening look like this:
5. I have nothing against on buying from online re-sellers, after all, it’s really hard to buy it on Kylie Cosmetics especially if you live in a country where the restock happens while you’re asleep, or the internet networks in your country really sucks. If you choose to buy it from online re-sellers, make sure you trust them. If it is your first time purchasing from them, then ask for the order number and look for their previous customers’ feedback. If you’re from the Philippines, Hong Kong or Macau, you can buy from these trusted re-sellers that I personally know and had a transaction with at least once. They all buy their products directly from Kylie Cosmetics, all of them are US shoppers.
UPDATE JUNE 11, 2016
6. The fake Kylie Lip Kit kinda improved, at least on the packaging. They now comes with a black box with a silver “KYLIE” label on the top and inside. And they also have a business card size copy of Kylie’s letter. Look…
The lip kits showed above are FAKE. In the Philippines, they cost around Php150-500 (roughly US$3-11) and they are called “Singapore Authentic” and does not sold with a lip liner. When you’re going to buy from re-sellers make sure they are made from LA, as labeled on the original Kylie Jenner Lip Kits.
This is what the new Kylie Cosmetic box look like as of June 2016…
The latest box of Kylie Cosmetics is plain black, no design whatsoever on the outside, not even a silver “KYLIE” but the inside has the usual silver KYLIE but now it has white dripping graphic on it. And the website, as always, is typed on the top. The original Kylie Cosmetic box is also bulkier, unlike the fakes that are slim. Lastly, look at the difference on Kylie Jenner’s letter that comes in every orders. The original are postcard size, while the fakes are business card size.
And here’s the actual size of the letter…
The original Kylie Jenner Lip Kit letters are bigger, like postcard size. And the other side has a lip photo with chrome teeth, just like on the original packaging of the lip kits.
UPDATE JUNE 17, 2016
Fake Kylie Jenner Lip Kits improved so much since my update just last week. A person I know (who provided these photos) bought a Candy K Lip Kit from a re-seller in Macau for personal use and she discovered it was fake. The re-seller, who shall not be named, claimed they didn’t know their lip kits were fake because they claimed to bought it from Amazon. They refuse to give a refund, instead they offered to give a discount on the next purchase. But the person I knew refused, because she won’t buy another fake lip kit even though it is “discounted”.
(Disclosure: Kylie Cosmetic Hong Kong sells authentic Kylie Lip Kits ordered from KylieCosmetics.com ONLY every restock and will never ever sell you fake items. They are also committed to inform you how to spot fake Kylie Jenner lip kits.)
7. Fake Kylie Lip Kits are now sold with lip liners and the same box, but original boxes’ prints are brighter. Look at the fake Candy K, it’s kinda pale.
8. Lip Liners that are sold with the fake Kylie Lip Kits are bigger and paler shade than the original and has a different cap as well.
9. Even Kylie fake lip kits have a seal on the bottom like the original lip kits, but they don’t even bother too stick it on the center. Plus, the fonts of the fake Kylie lip kit seals are smaller than the original.
10. Fake Kylie lip kit’s cap are smaller than the original, and the edges are more solid as well.
So far these are the difference I could gather between the real and the fake Kylie Jenner Lip Kit. I haven’t tried any fake lip kits yet, and I hope I won’t but I’m very sure the formula is different.
UPDATE JUNE 24, 2016
You asked for it so here it is. A comparison of the REAL and FAKE Kylie Lip Kits swatches.
Real Kylie Matte Lip Kits Swatch
And this is the fake Kylie Lip Kit Swatch…
At first look they look the same but the King K, Reign, Heir, Kourt, Candy, and Mary Jo looks a bit different. While there is no “Like K” at all, but there is “Like: and it’s a gloss, not matte as stated on the fake Kylie lip kit swatch.
UPDATE: July 3, 2016
On Kylie Cosmetics’ July 1st restock they started selling their lip liner and liquid matte lipstick separately. But as of the moment, only two shades: Candy K and Mary Jo K. I like it, but I wish they changed the box or tweaked the design, because fakes are packaged with the same box design. So if someone is selling you a solo Kylie liquid matte lipsticks that isn’t Candy K or Mary Jo K then it’s fake. Besides those, the bottles are the same so just check the look of the original bottle above to know if you have the fake kylie lip kit or not.
UPDATE: July 4, 2016
More side to side comparison of real and fake kylie lip kits from Makeup Authority Ph.
Went to 999 shopping mall yesterday and found these fake Kylie Lip Kits! We decided to buy them so that we can compare and inform you guys about these. They have 12 shades available for 80php each, so I got everything for less than a thousand pesos. As you can see, it looks like a mini version of the authentic ones. The black box is smaller and it has the Kylie logo printed outside the box. The thank you note is also smaller, like the size of a calling card. (DISCLAIMER: We don’t sell fake Kylie Lips Kits and we do not encourage you to buy them. There is no such thing as “SG Authentic”. Fake is fake. We just want to inform you guys so that you would know the difference between the authentic and the fake ones.)
A photo posted by KYLIE COSMETICS & Colourpop 💋 (@makeupauthorityph) on
🔸 This is what they look like individually. Obviously, the fake ones are not sold as kits because they don’t have the lip liners. 🔸The colors of the fake ones are very different with the authentic ones. 🔸 The logo and the font of the fake ones are bolder than the authentic ones. (DISCLAIMER: We don’t sell fake Kylie Lips Kits and we do not encourage you to buy them. There is no such thing as “SG Authentic”. Fake is fake. We just want to inform you guys so that you would know the difference between the authentic and the fake ones.)
From L-R: Koko K, Candy K, Dolce K, True Brown K, Posie K, Kourt K, Mary Jo K, 22, Like Gloss, Reign, King K, and Heir 🔸 This is the color comparison of the 12 shades that they have. Colors are not the same most especially the Koko K, Posie K, Like Gloss, and Heir Metal Matte. 🔸 The tubes of fake ones are a little bit shorter and fatter than the authentic ones. 🔸The cover of the fake ones are super black.🔸 The font of the fake ones are not consistent. 🔸 Look closely at the fake ones; Koko K, Candy K, Dolce K and Like Gloss are considered as metal mattes. (DISCLAIMER: We don’t sell fake Kylie Lips Kits and we do not encourage you to buy them. There is no such thing as “SG Authentic”. Fake is fake. We just want to inform you guys so that you would know the difference between the authentic and the fake ones.)
A photo posted by KYLIE COSMETICS & Colourpop 💋 (@makeupauthorityph) on
Comparison of Swatches (these are the shades that I personally have) 🔸 Colors are very very different. 🔸 Fake ones are not that pigmented, they are very sticky, they do not dry, and they are transferrable. 🔸 For those who have the authentic ones, we all know that they smell like chocolate/vanilla or whatsoever. The fake ones have a small hint of that sweet smell but they mostly smell like PLASTIC. (Which means that there are chemicals used in the formula that can harm you) 🔸 The one thing that they have in common is that they are very hard to remove. You need a makeup remover to wash them off. (DISCLAIMER: We don’t sell fake Kylie Lips Kits and we do not encourage you to buy them. There is no such thing as “SG Authentic”. Fake is fake. We just want to inform you guys so that you would know the difference between the authentic and the fake ones.)
UPDATE: July 14, 2016
For those who are too lazy to read, you can watch this video by Beauty Script
UPDATE: August 2, 2016 – Original Kylie Lip Liners Have Serial Numbers
A lot of people are asking me if we sell authentic #KylieLipKits and it’s okay since there are A LOT of fakes out there. But WE DON’T SELL FAKE LIP KITS AND WE ONLY GET OUR STOCKS DIRECTLY FROM KYLIECOSMETICS.COM during their restocks. I have a blog post on how to spot fakes lip kits (link in bio), but here’s an easier way to determine the real ones from the fakes: SERIAL NUMBER. Unfortunately it’s only on the lip liner, but when you receive your lip kits, check the bottom of your lip liners if there’s a serial number or not 😊 . . #makeup #instamakeup #cosmetic #cosmetics #fashion #lipstick #gloss #lip #lips #beauty #kyliejenner #kylielipkitPH #onlinesellerph #onlineshoppingph #metals #socuteKylie #lipkitph #lipkitmnl #kyliecosmeticsph #posiek #maryjok #kylielipkits #lipkitbykylie #lipkitbykylieph #lipkit #goldkylie #goldbirthday
A photo posted by Official StyleVanity.com Shop (@stylevanityshop) on
The last advice I could give you is…
1) DO NOT TO BUY IT FROM eBay retailers (unless you already experienced purchasing from them and you completely trust them) because you can never be sure from them. Sometimes they will show a real item on their page, but they will send a fake item instead.
2) NEVER buy from Chinese e-commerce sites as well, like DHgate where I personally found several fake Kylie Jenner Lip Kit.
3) If you want to buy from re-sellers, ask for order number if they cannot provide it, don’t bother. Or check their former customers. Also when they say their Kylie Lip Kits are “SG Authentic” then it is surely fake because Kylie Lip Kits are made and manufactured in Los Angeles, California in USA.
4) If the deal is too good to be true, like the re-sellers are selling it for less than the original price, then it is surely FAKE.
5) If you want to buy fake for the sake of showing that you’re using a Kylie Lip Kit then read this article from Buzzfeed about things scientists found on knockoff cosmetics and it might completely change your mind. If you are desperate for a Kylie Lip Kit but doesn’t want to pay higher on legitimate re-sellers, I recommend buying dupes from ColourPop instead of buying fakes. After all, they’re the same formula *wink, wink*
Hopefully Kylie Cosmetic will do something to make their products harder for counterfeit makers to copy them. This post will have a continuation about the Kylie Cosmetic’s quality control problems.
**All photos are from the girls from Kylie Cosmetic Hong Kong unless otherwise noted.