People call me a hipster (but I prefer hippie) for so many reasons, some I don’t even want to say why but one of it is because I have a thing for old school stuff like analog cameras which I like to call “The Original Instagram”. I have a knack for using old fashion films as an art piece, people think I’m some kind of an alien (in a good way) when I attend events or in vacation documenting all things that are happening with an analog camera. But most people nowadays do not have the kind of patience I invest on processing films so sometimes I opt for my next fave: Instant Print Cameras.
Whether it’s the hard-hitting bout of nostalgia, the immediate gratification, or the look of the iconic framed print that gets me there’s an unmatchable joy that comes from shooting photos on an instant camera. Luckily, you don’t have to go rummaging through boxes of your parents laughable old tech to find this totable treasure anymore. Now, you can get your instant print camera fix with one of these 10 brand spankin’ new models. Say cheese and get ready to shake it like a…well, you know!
1. Polaroid Socialmatic ($299): I’ll start with the model I have been following for around two years (I guess), wayyy before Polaroid acquired their company. The Polaroid Socialmatic was introduced in the recent CES. A camera that’s bound to be one of the most highly anticipated gadgets this year. Coming in Fall 2014, this square-shaped digital instant camera lets you share what you snap to all of your online social networks—how cool is that!? The Android-based touchscreen camera is WiFi and Bluetooth compatible so you can upload your heart away, and comes with a plush 4GB of internal storage. It goes without saying—can’t wait!
2. LG Pocket Photo PD221 SILVER Mini Mobile Printer for Android Smartphone ($119.90): This one is not actually an instant print camera, rather it’s a portable printer for your Android phone. Now you can print your smartphone photos in an instant. Just connect your device in this portable printer and your done. For iPhone users, you could use Instant Phone Lab which cost $299.
3. FujiFilm Instax Mini 8 Instant Camera ($82.95): I don’t know about america and Europe but these cute pastel cameras are taking over Asia’s Digital World. Even though this camera only measures about five inches long and high, this mini point and shoot delivers big time. Not only with features like simple exposure adjustment and automatic flash, but also with a stunning array of pastel finishes.
4. Limited Edition Polaroid SX-70 ($350+): These one is what my little brother is asking me to buy for him as a gift for his high school graduation (I hope I could afford it before it runs out). Can’t blame him, he has a good taste, this is a fully foldable Polaroid SLRs were only printed up until 1977, but are now available to the masses (in a limited edition batch) completely restored and in perfect working condition. So cool! Get yours in a retro-paneled brown, a modern ivory, or futuristic chrome finish while you can.
5. Fuji Instax Wide Instant Camera ($80+): Expand your instant photo canvas with this wide format camera that subs rectangular prints for the trademark square exposures.
6. Polaroid z340 Instant Camera ($199+): Now you can shoot, edit, and print instant photos all in one device. For reals! Polaroid’s first ever forray into digital instant camera hybrids shoots in 14 megapixels and prints on smudge-proof, water and tear-resistant paper that is a bit cheaper to buy than traditional instant film. It’s also compatible with existing SD cards, so you can upload photos from other digital cameras into this all-in-one bad boy.
7. Instax 90 Neo Classic Instant Camera ($190+): This one is my favorite, it has some features that resembles my favorite anolog camera the Diana F+. So if you’re looking for tons of control over your instant photos, then this is the instant camera for you. Boasting six shooting modes, including settings for fast-paced action, super close ups, and artsy double exposures, as well as adjustable shutter speed and a tripod mount, this ultra thin Instax camera is the perfect companion for documenting everything from light urban wandering to continent-crossing travels.
8. Diana F+ Instant Camera ($139): Speaking of Diana F+, Lo-fi photo fans get pumped: the Diana F+ delivers the signature dreamy, soft focus snaps you’ve come to love in instant photo form. Choose between two shutter speeds before you attach your close-up lens and a chunky retro flash that makes you feel like Old Hollywood paparazzi.
9. The Polaroid z2300 ($179.99): Polaroid once again merges the world of digital and instant photos in this sleek snapper that shoots editable, 10 megapixel images and prints them onto sticky-back film. You can even shoot video on this rainbow-striped camera!
10. Polaroid One-Step Close-Up Camera by Impossible Project ($180): Look familiar? This one-step camera has all the no fuss specs we loved about our original Polaroid cameras, including that iconic retro design.